By: James Hand

Tax Deductions & Credits for Canadian Homeowners

Tags: home owner tax deductions, Canadian tax deductions, can I write off my home expenses in Ontario


Owning a home in Canada can be very expensive and very rewarding at the same time.  As a homeowner, there are some Federal and Provincial tax deductions and tax credits which, depending on your situation, may be available for you to claim.

Home Buyers’ Amount (Formerly known as Home Buyer’s Tax Credit)

You can claim $5,000 for the purchase of a “qualifying home” if both of the following apply:

  1. you or your spouse or common-law partner acquired a qualifying home; and
  2. you did not live in another home owned by you or your spouse or common-law partner in the year of acquisition or in any of the four preceding years (first-time home buyer).

Qualifying home – Must be registered in your and/or your spouse / common-law partner’s name in accordance with the applicable land registration system and located in Canada.  Includes existing homes and homes under construction.

The $5,000 can be split between the house owners as long as the total amount claimed on all tax returns doesn’t exceed $5,000. The credit is claimed on line 31270 on your income tax and benefits return (previously line 369).

The following are considered qualifying homes:

Home Accessibility Tax Credit (HATC)

Renovations or expenses incurred which make homes safer or more accessible for Canadians 65-years of age or older, or for the disabled people of any age may qualify for the HATC provided they are being claimed by the eligible individual or by someone who looks after the individual and meets all of the CRA’s requirements.  Up to $10,000 in expenses can be claimed under the HATC. Since this is a non-refundable tax credit, you are eligible to receive 15% of the renovation costs as a reduction on your taxes.

Medical Expenses Tax Credit

Persons with mobility impairments can claim renovation expenses to make their home more accessible under medical expenses deductions in Canada. The government provides an extensive list of eligible medical expenses as well as medical expenses that you cannot claim.

GST/HST New Housing Rebate

You may be eligible for a new housing rebate for some of the GST/HST paid if you are an individual who:

Qualifying housing also includes mobile homes, modular homes and floating homes.

The GST/HST new housing rebate allows an individual to recover some of the GST or federal portion of the HST paid for a new or substantially renovated house that is for use as the individual’s, or their relation’s, primary place of residence, when all of the conditions are met.

Home Buyer’s Plan

The Home Buyer’s Plan allows you to withdraw up to $35,000 from your registered retirement savings plan (RRSP) to help with the purchase or construction of a home. Certain conditions apply. Submit a request by completing the T1036 tax form that is available.

GST/HST New Residential Rental Property Rebate

You may be eligible for the GST/HST New Residential Rental Property Rebate if you are a:

To be eligible for the new residential rental property rebate, the fair market value on the qualifying residential unit at the time tax was payable on the purchase or self-supply of the property must be less than $450,000 and for land or a site in a trailer park the fair market value must be less than $112,500.

The rental accommodation or land must be intended for long-term use as a residence.

The rebate will go to the person who paid the GST/HST – Landlord for rental accommodations or Lessor of the land for leased land.

For more information, visit the CRA’s Guide RC4231, GST/HST New Residential Rental Property Rebate.

Rental Income

If you rent real estate or other property, including farmland that you own or have use of, you will need to report the income to the CRA on Form T776, Statement of Real Estate Rentals, which allows you to claim allowable expenses such as advertising, insurance and interest on money you borrow to buy or improve the property.

Homeowners Who Work From Home

If you work from your home, there are a number of expenses that you can deduct if you are either self-employed, a commissioned employee or a professional.

The amount that you are eligible to claim corresponds to the percentage of the home used for the business and expenses which could be claimed include, but are not limited to:

Selling your Home

Generally, the GST/HST does not apply when you sell your home, but there are cases where it does. For example; if you built the home, you may have to pay the GST/HST.  If the home you sell is not your principal residence, you have to report the capital gains.  You also have to notify to the CRA that you have sold a property, and if you do not, there could be significant penalties and interest assessed against you.

Moving Expenses

You can claim eligible moving expenses if:

To qualify, your new home must be at least 40 kilometres (by the shortest usual public route) closer to your new work or school.

This deduction on line 21900 reduces your income before you apply your taxes. It can be carried forward to subsequent years if you don’t have enough income to deduct all the moving costs.

New Home Purchase

Generally, sales of new housing are subject to the GST/HST, however, you may qualify for the following rebate for some of the tax paid.

**If you would like any further or more detailed information about what's in this article please feel free to reach out. We're here to answer any questions you have and to help in any way that we can.